At busuu, we’re a bit like Santa’s elves: we work hard all year round to bring you new language-learning tools and features that help you learn faster and enjoy a better learning experience. In fact, it’s like Christmas every day!
This year, we’ve been especially busy coming up with exciting, fun ideas for the global busuu community. Here’s a round-up of some of the great new products and ways to learn that we introduced just for you in 2013.
- New busuu products
- Extra ways to help you learn
- Fun competitions with great prizes
- busuu milestones in numbers
- How you helped us to help others
- What’s next in 2014?
New busuu products
We’re always up to date with new trends in language learning. We also find out what you need to help you learn languages anytime, anywhere. The result? Lots of innovative, useful products!
- busuu’s ‘London Central’ (February) was the world’s first video course to include direct interaction with native English speakers.
- We launched two iPad apps to help children learn languages in a fun, motivating way: ‘Kids learn English with busuu’ (January) and ‘Kids learn Spanish with busuu’ (April).
- Following the great success of the iPad apps, we launched our ‘Kids learn…’ apps for Android a few months later (November).
Extra ways to help you learn
As well as our award-winning website and apps for mobiles and tablets on iOS and Android, we want to help you learn in other ways, understand new cultures and stay motivated.
- We used our blog and social media like Facebook, Twitter and Google+ to share fun facts and learning tips, as well as asking you to get involved!
- In Language of the Month, we post questions and interesting snippets on one language each month on busuu’s profile on Facebook.
- Our World of Work series introduces real busuu members who use languages in their jobs.
- The Language Advent Calendar ran 1-24 December on Facebook, with a new post every day related to Christmas and other winter traditions around the world.
- We started ‘busuu Go’ on 25 December to help you keep learning and to stick to your New Year’s resolutions going into 2014!
Fun competitions with great prizes
Sometimes, it’s nice to relax and play games — especially if there’s the chance to win a brilliant prize that will help your language learning!
- In the busuu Easter Egg Hunt (March), we hid 80 Easter eggs throughout our courses. Ten lucky people won 5,000 busuu-berries to spend in our gift shop or to get great discounts.
- Three talented winners each won a year’s busuu Premium Membership after they entered our Facebook photo competition (April).
- We gave away a brand new iPhone 5s — complete with full access to all busuu’s mobile apps — in our sweepstake competition on Facebook (October).
busuu milestones in numbers
Since we began in 2008, we have gone from strength to strength to become the world’s biggest online language-learning community. And it’s all down to you — so a huge thank you for being part of busuu!
- 30 million: The number of members on our website (April).
- 500,000: The number of fans on busuu’s Facebook page (April).
- 5: How old we were in 2013! We celebrated our fifth birthday with our top 5 language-learning tips (May).
- 1: We launched our first TV advert (May), which appeared in Germany.
- 20 million: The number of times our mobile apps have been downloaded (September).
Helping us to help others
Did you know that our name comes from Busuu, an endangered language in Cameroon, Africa? That’s why, every year, we run a charity campaign in December to raise funds to help provide education for children in that region.
2013 was no different, as you continued learning to earn millions of busuu-berries that we converted into much-needed supplies to send to schools in Cameroon. Our Learn2Help campaign ran 1-20 December and you raised an astonishing 50 million busuu-berries!
What’s next in 2014?
Phew! Can you believe we managed all that in just one year? What was your favourite busuu experience or product in 2013? Which helped you most in learning a new language (or two)? Let us know in the comments and stay tuned for more exciting news in 2014!