The Olympic Games are the biggest sport event in the world, bringing together thousands of athletes and fans from over 200 different countries. This is the perfect time to brush up on your sports vocabulary and “talk sports” with other users of our community in the busuutalk.
- Find out how to name different sports in the language you are learning.
- Learn typical expressions related to this international sporting event.
- Tell others about your favourite sport in the writing exercise.
To get you into the mood for our Special Unit, here are some fun facts and interesting information about the Olympic Games:
- The official languages of the Games are English and French and, if different, the language of the host country.
- The Olympic rings stand for the unity of America, Africa, Asia, Europe and Oceania.
- The Olympic motto “Citius, Altius, Fortius” is Latin for “Faster, Higher, Stronger“.
- Despite the motto, the Olympic Games are not about winning but about participating and celebrating this big international sport event together.
- Mind you that spelling competition is not yet considered as an Olympic sport 😉
Now it’s time for you to get active and learn some new vocabulary about sports and about the ceremony itself. Go to the Special Unit by clicking on the ‘recommended unit’ link on the left-hand side of your Home area. Or just try it out now!
Have lots of fun with our Olympic Games Unit!