Did you know that the world’s population has more multilingual people than speakers of just one language? If you can speak two languages, you’re bilingual; three and you’re trilingual. If you speak even more, you might be known as a polyglot.
A few polyglots, past and present
There have always been people who can talk or write in several tongues. For example, German polyglot Emil Krebs could communicate in 68 languages. Kató Lomb, a Hungarian interpreter and translator, worked in 16 languages.
A modern-day polyglot who can speak more languages than we can imagine doing is American professor Alexander Arguelles, who fluently speaks about 36 languages.
Another example is teenager Timothy Doner. He became well known via his YouTube videos, in which he speaks more than 20 languages. Have you done this too? Add a link in the comments!
How did they learn so many languages?
The key to picking up a new tongue is the same, whether you’re learning foreign language number 2 or 22! On his website, Alexander Arguelles gives these tips for success:
- Stay focused on learning
- Use clever study methods and good materials
- Study regularly over a long time
- Take active control of your learning
- Make the most of resources like books and recordings
Become a polyglot with Busuu!
With Busuu, you can learn up 12 different languages! Whether you want to become a polyglot or to simply learn one new language, we’ve got the tools to help you.
- Speak to native speakers using the Busuu chat tool and get their feedback on writing exercises and voice recordings.
- Study with our Learning Units, designed by language experts and based on a tried-and-tested method.
- Set targets and track your progress using My Goal, to help you stay motivated.
- Download the Busuu mobile app (for iOS and Android) to keep learning, even on the move.
- Try our other fun tools, like Live Units, the ‘London Central’ video course, Grammar Guides and more!
Which languages do you speak?
Are you bilingual, trilingual or a polyglot? Which languages do you speak and how did you learn them? How many languages have you learnt with Busuu? Let us know in the comments – we’d love to read your stories!