We at busuu are obsessed with the efficiency of our product and we recently conducted a university study together with a research team from City University of New York & the University of South Carolina to measure the learning outcomes of our product.
The independent research team followed a group of 144 busuu students who studied Spanish using only our platform over a period of 2 months. The participants had full access to our Premium Membership, including voice recordings, grammar units, pdfs, vocab trainer etc. The students had to take a standardized written and oral entry test at the beginning of the study as well as an exit test so the researchers could measure the average learning improvements over the 2 months.
The results have been amazing as busuu came out as the most efficient language learning tool ever studied so far!
- 84% of participants who sat the written test improved their result.
- 75% of participants who sat the oral test improved their result by one level or more.
- Of those who studied for 16 hours or more on busuu, 100% made a significant improvement to either their written test result, oral test result or both.
- busuu users only need to study an average of 22.5 hours over two months to cover the requirements for one college semester of Spanish.
- 100% of those who answered the exit survey said that they would continue to use busuu after the study ended.
The research team, led by Roumen Vesselinov, PhD, from City University New York who has conducted similar studies with other apps mentioned: “Among all the language learning apps studied so far, the efficacy of busuu is the best.”
We are very encouraged by these results as they prove that our students are able to substantially improve their language skills by studying with busuu.
We’re constantly releasing updates to our course, and we’ve got some great product improvements just around the corner, all of which are pushing the efficiency of the platform even higher – so stay tuned! 🙂